Friday, July 20, 2007

What is 'Ban my IP' and How do I use it?

After you have created your BlogPatrol account, you can use the Ban my IP option, which means that BlogPatrol will ignore visits and hits from your computer.

Your BlogPatrol account allows you to block up to four (4) different IP addresses, which are pre-labeled as: Home IP, Work IP, Wireless IP, and Other IP. You will find these "Ban my IP" data fields located between the Visitor Count and Timezone data fields.

As shown in the the example screen shot below, you will need to click on the my address is button in order for BlogPatrol to fill in the IP address of your computer's current internet connection for you.



Once you see your IP address appear, then remember to click the modify button to save your changes.

When you save your changes successfully, the website will return a success page:

If you like this article, then click on this link to "Digg It" and help promote BlogPatrol.com. Thanks!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
I usually uses 2 different computers, i.e. 1 at home and 1 at office. I wish I can ban more than one of my own IP address in my blog count. Am I able to do so?

Tony said...

Emily: At this time, the "Ban my IP" feature stores only one IP address. We are, however, planning to introduce a ban multiple IP addresses in the near future.

hope said...

I did as instructed and yet my Counter is still counting my computer visits.

It's been a long day...what did I do wrong? :) [Yes, I did hit "modify"]
Thanks!

duopastorale said...

One major problem with this... everytime you log on, your IP address changes slightly.

Tony said...

Emily: I'm pleased to mention that we recently introduced the ban "multiple" IP addresses function in the BlogPatrol service. We hope you enjoy using this new feature, and we'd love to hear any feedback you have about this enhancement.

Tony said...

Mike: It sounds like you are referring to dynamic IP addressing in which only one or two characters in your IP address changes slightly each time you login. You can use wildcard ? and * characters for the parts of the IP address which change each time.

The ? wildcard is used as a one-for-one alternate for any single digit that changes each time. For example if you know that the three digits in the same location always change, then you would place ??? in place of those digits.

As an example, you could replace the following dynamic address...

123.sub-44-222-987.myvzw.com
324.sub-53-333-456.myvzw.com
225.sub-77-111-321.myvzw.com

...with...

???.sub-??-???-???.myvzw.com

The * wildcard has broader uses in that it will treat any length of characters before or after the * as a wildcard. As an example, the same dynamic IP addresses above...

123.sub-44-222-987.myvzw.com
324.sub-53-333-456.myvzw.com
225.sub-77-111-321.myvzw.com

...with simply...

*.sub-*.myvzw.com

Since BlogPatrol now provides up to four separate data fields that you can use to ban your IP addresses, I recommend that you experiment to see which wildcoard combinations work best for you. If you have any questions please comment here or email us using our web contact form.

Tony said...

Hope: We have sent an email to the address we have on file for you to see if you are still having problems with this feature.